[Gllug] What makes a USB device switch back to 1.1?

Avi lists at avi.co
Tue Jul 5 17:53:52 UTC 2011

John Winters wrote:

> I hit an interesting problem at the weekend.  A 2 TB Seagate USB
> drive plugged into a nearly new Gigabyte motherboard would only work
> at 12 mb/s.  Looking at /var/log/syslog, whichever port it was
> plugged into a message appeared saying it needed to be plugged into a
> high speed hub in order to get anything better.

Under Windows this is symptomatic of not having the proper driver for
the motherboard (or, more properly, the USB chipset). I gather it's
roughly akin to only getting VGA out of a graphics card rather than 3D
acceleration.

I've never seen it under Linux, but I don't imagine it'd work any
differently. On the other hand, I find it difficult to believe a
Gigabyte board needs manual addition of drivers for Linux.

--
Avi
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk