[Gllug] Computing power - again

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 13:55:52 UTC 2011

Whilst algorithmic improvements mean that the load I am running is now
manageable, it still takes a long time.

I'd love to build a small cluster for my own use but it seems quite a risk
to take that on when time is short.

Therefore I was thinking of just renting a faster server for a bit -
Hetzner, which I have used before, can give me three months of a 24 GB
Intel i7-980X box for three months for about £400 - 420. I think that
would cut things in half again, at least, compared to the fastest machine
I have available to me now.

Anybody know anything similar for less/better for same price? Preferably
Debian-flavoured just because I am so used to that now.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk