[Gllug] My god that Mark Shuttleworth gets everywhere

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:27:58 UTC 2011

On 13 Jul 2011, Christopher Hunter verbalised:

> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 21:18 +0100, Nix wrote:
>> It's probably very *hard* to maintain, though: by all accounts it is
>> suffering death by excessive abstraction.
>
> No - they don't actually maintain it at all - they patch around it.

It's extremely hard to believe that they can fix all the bugs they
encounter that way.

However, I'm quite willing to believe that it's in low-change
mature-software mode ('make this change only if absolutely necessary and
verified by N billion code reviews'). That's not a sign of
unmaintainability as much as it is of criticality (and fear) though.
Most mature software gets like this. I remain amazed that the Linux
kernel has not.

>> I cannot believe that MS would kill off their only real cash cow (beside
>> Office) if there was any alternative at all.
>
> Their future business model is almost certainly to move to "rented
> applications" in the cloud.

Yeah right. That would hugely reduce lockin, which has always been the
primary driver of their business. I'll believe it when I see it.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk