[Gllug] Questionnaire - "The motivations of developers who participate in OS projects"

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 1 09:15:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, July 1, 2011 01:56, A.Kaperonis at lse.ac.uk wrote:
> Dear OS developer,
>
> I am an MSc student at the London School of Economics and I am doing
> research on the motivations of developers who participate in OS projects.
> The results from this questionnaire will be used within my MSc
> dissertation as empirical evidence.
>
> The questionnaire is designed in such a way that it will take only a few
> minutes to fill in. Please be assured that all responses will remain
> confidential and secure.
>
> Please answer all the questions.
>
> Thank you in advance for your time and support. You can start with the
> survey by clicking on the following link:
>
> http://questionpro.com/t/AGYOdZKm6G
>
> Please contact A.Kaperonis at lse.ac.uk with any questions.
>
> Thank You
>
> Anastasios Kaperonis

> communications disclaimer: http://lse.ac.uk/emailDisclaimer
> --

Hi,
I was about to participate in your survey when I noticed that it appears
to be a piece of propaganda. First of all you only ask about Open Source
software. Personally I only participate in Free Software projects, a
subset of Opens Source, which guarantee the rights enumerated in the
(L)GPL. Fine, that is a small point since FOSS is a subset of OS. However
once I reached question two it left me fuming in anger.

Question: 2. I spend most of my programming time as a:

A. Salaried programmer.

B. Contract programmer.

C. Hobby programmer.

D. Student.

E. Other.

The implication of course is that if you are not paid to do programming,
you are a mere "hobby" programmer. May be coincidence, but this is the
exact same terminology found in Microsoft's so-called "Open Source"
licenses. Having worked for many years as un unsalaried, professional Free
Software developer I find this extremely insulting. Ah yes, you left the
"other" option there, but the implication is still there.

Perhaps I am overreacting (its early in the morning where I am), but I
would appreciate it if you could phrase these questions differently, e.g.

A. Salaried programmer.

B. Contract programmer.

C. Unpaid programmer (full time).

C. Hobby programmer (part time).