[Gllug] Lots of computing power required - is Amazon EC2 an answer?

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jul 1 12:51:38 UTC 2011

Interesting, assuming linear acceleration across parallel computing, lets do
some math...

1 dual core AMD CPU (assume ~2.4 Ghz) = 20 days
1 Quad core AMD CPU 2.4 Ghz = 10 days
2 Quad core AMD CPU 2.4 Ghz = 5 days
4 Quad core AMD CPU 2.4 Ghz = 2.5 days
8 Quad core AMD CPU 2.4 Ghz = 1.25 days

This means that you should be able to run the entire data set over a weekend
using 8 Quad Core machines, or 16 dual core machines. I
would definitely contact your school about a condor pool. Even a small one
would make this very manageable.

Also, many of the systems shipped by HP and other server companies are now
shipping quad socket six core CPUs.  With one of these beasts you could also
run it over a weekend pretty easily.  If you have any contacts in industry,
you might ask about and see if someone has a server (or servers) being
burned in you could use for a weekend.

Andy