[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Tue Jul 19 20:42:34 UTC 2011

On 19/07/11 12:29, Tethys . wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:00 PM, JLMS<jjllmmss at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>

>> Space Invaders in bash. What is there not to like?
>>
> Upper case variable names for shell variables and invaders that don't
> shoot back.
>
> Tet :-)

True; time constraints meant that I cut that, the platforms(?) between
you and the aliens, the random bonus alien at the top of the screen, and
a high scores table (at least). Have to leave something for the second
edition ;-)

I am quite unashamed in using uppercase variable names, particularly for
default values, but I acknowledge that there are strong views for and
against. I also find that lowercase variable names can get a bit "lost"
in shell scripts, where everything else is lower case too. Having said
that, C code tends to have all lowercase and gets away with it, while
Java tendsToInsertCapsLikeThis, which I find veryIrritatingIndeed.

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk