[Gllug] My god that Mark Shuttleworth gets everywhere

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Jul 12 21:11:18 UTC 2011

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:05:43 +0100, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:17 +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> > That's not entirely supported by the facts. Microsoft have already
> > released software under the GPL (so far, only v2 -- I tend to agree
> > they'll be extremely unlikely to ship anything under v3).
>
> Do MS distribute anything of their own under GPL or is their
> participation limited to contributions to other peoples' code where the
> license decision is not down to MS?

Their "MS Tools for Unix" was (is?) a bunch of stuff ported to 'doze,
which included GNU grep if I'm not mistaken -- if not that, then
something equivalent that is GPLed.

They were shipping that when Ballmer ranted incoherently about the GPL
being like a virus, and for years after (and for all I know, still)

Cheers, Phil.