[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Jul 21 06:54:31 UTC 2011

I think my head is spinning a bit this morning reading all those posts about
environment variables.
My (limited) understanding - not worrying about the shell does things internally
- has always been that the shell gets some variables from init/profile/whatever
('environment' or otherwise) when it comes into being; can change/create/delete
them itself to its own ends, but on executing a child process only passes those
variables on (in the child's environment) that have been 'exported'.
I assume that the shell variables such as LOGIN and PATH which are presumably
set up by init/login/getty are automatically treated as exported, as my .profile
files generally do not export those?
Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk