[Gllug] networking problem

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:25:47 UTC 2011

On 15 July 2011 08:46, t.clarke <tim at seacon.co.uk> wrote:

> So, assuming re-programming the gateway on the device IS impossible, can we
> cheat and shove a linux box on the LAN with an IP of 192.0.3.6 and a default
> gateway of 192.0.3.240, so that the device will send its packets to the linux
> box which will then forward (over the same eth0 interface) to 192.0.3.240, for
> ultimate delivery to the far end?   It would seem this will work in theory, but
> am I missing something??

I don't think you need to even go so far as forwarding the packets.

If I read your scenario correctly, all you need to do is have a device
answer on 192.0.3.6
That device is actually 192.0.3.240
You could set up arp spoofing for that - ie whenever an arp request
for 192.0.3.6 an answer is
sent out with the relevant MAC address for your new router.

I assume it is impossible to get into the 192.0.3.240 router and
program it to have an interface alias as 192.0.3.6
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk