[Gllug] Lots of computing power required - is Amazon EC2 an answer?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 09:56:44 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 12:34:44AM +0100, Progga wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:05:26PM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>>
>> I have some code which is very parallelisable but requires huge computing
>> resources - on a AMD 64 dual box I have here I reckon it will take about
>> 20 days to run - but if I had access to about 600 CPUs it might take 20 -
>> 30 minutes (it's run against a massive XML file - 800 MB or so - with
>> different parameters)
>
> Your University might have a cluster.  That's the best solution IMHO.

If your University still have computers lab rooms, then maybe you
could borrow a room of PCs for a night when they are not used?

Boot from bunch of USB sticks with a basic Linux system and your
program, and either parallel process on the local network if it's
quick enough or divide the work into even chunks. Save data back
to the USB sticks and retreive before the students get in.