[Gllug] Apt and RPM caching experiences

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jul 4 15:15:46 UTC 2011

On Mon 04 Jul, j.roberts wrote:

> On 04/07/2011 11:36, John Edwards wrote:
>

> > The usual reasons for a caching is to speed up download on slow links
> > or reduce the total monthly transfer. Debian/Ubuntu archives are very
> > large and most of the packages transfered will never be used, so you
> > will be transfering much more data as well slowing down your Internet
> > link.
>
> > I think it's more efficient to just transfer those packages you need.
>
> I guess it depends how many machines of a distro one is trying to manage
> at a site and how much application churn there is:
>
> 1 - just run updates
> 10-20 - squid cache makes sense to me, I'm going to try this again
> 100+ - local full cache is justified
>
> ?
>
> Seems reasonable, of course I may well have overlooked something...
>
> MeJ
> --

   I have used several local cache systems, but most either caused me grief
at some time and/or were not maintained. I find the download to a RAID1 pair
is fairly quick, and I later also rsync to an external drive which can allow
me to do an installation using my laptop as an apache server where direct
internet access is not available (happens rather too often).

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk