[Gllug] Linux/OS breakdown of recently hacked sites?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:22:17 UTC 2011

On 20 July 2011 13:05, gvim <gvimrc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Considering the recent tsunami of hacked high-profile sites, has anyone come
> across info relating to how many of these sites were running Linux and
> staffed by competent admins? They can't all be down to cross-site scripting
> surely?
>
> gvim

How do you measure competence of people that you don't know?

How could that possibly be reported in a public place? :
- Website: Mr X is incompetent.
- Mr X: this is my solicitor you libellous gits.
- Website: Ooopsie (and if they are in the Gambia, protected from
modern legal systems, they would have little credibility anyway).

As for which sites ran Linux, you can never really know (load
balancers, firewalls, segregation of functions amongst hosts,
virtualization will hide that from you), only very simple sites would
be obvious, and crackers are not interested on those.

Also where do you delimit the administrative function? Nowadays many
Sys Admins don't deal with web or database administration: they can
secure the operating system properly but refer to their specialized
colleagues for anything else.

I think your inquiry above isn't of much practical value frankly.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk