[Gllug] Thin client Linux

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:29:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I need a Linux distro that can boot off a 1Gig Flash disk. I.e. It is
a Thin Client with X. It just does "ssh -Y" and starts the remote
program displaying on the Thin client X display. Network bandwidth is
not a problem so I don't need NX or anything like that.
I need to be able to install my own packages on the flash disk. It is
a program of my own making that handles a proprietary serial protocol
and forwards data over a tcp session to a remote machine. The program
is fairly simple, but does some frame checking on the received serial
data and only sends valid frames over TCP.
So, a Live CD is no good, because it will forget my installed package
on the next reboot.
Also, I must be able to package up my program so there must be a
development environment with the correct lib versions as the thin
client.

I cannot use ubuntu because it is too large.
What do people suggest?

Kind Regards

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk