[Gllug] Discs for a RAID1 pair

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Mon Jul 4 16:38:58 UTC 2011

On 04/07/11 16:36, Chris Bell wrote:
>     I want to set up a new RAID1 pair of discs. I can have one Seagate
> Barracuda disc plus one Seagate Barracuda Green disc, or two Seagate
> Barracuda Green discs. Are there likely to be any unexpected problems with
> either combination?

First, if data security is at issue, then whatever box has these disks
in it would be better on a UPS.

Back in the day people used to recommend that if using only two disks,
it would be better if they were from different manufacturers. I still do
this in larger RAID 6 arrays, I'll try to split half-and-half between
(say) Seagate and Hitachi, or whatever.

I *have* had multiple failures within a day on a single array of
identical disks, but only twice in 20 years...

> Should I try to disable the disc cache as a precaution?

As long as you have a UPS I don't believe this to be necessary. If you
don't have a UPS (or a battery-backed RAID card) then RAID security is
much diminished, I would disable write cache if forced to do that.

No doubt there will be other trenchant opinions :)

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane

0845 838 5370