[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed Jul 20 22:32:59 UTC 2011

On 20/07/11 23:26, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:16:46PM +0100, Steve Parker wrote:
>

>> I think that this is where I was unclear.  I should have made explicit
>> that the state of the given process is modified, but not exported to the
>> current process's environment which is what is passed on to its children.
>>
> That is not right either. You talk about exporting to the shell's own environment,
> the shell does not do that - it doesn't change its own environment. For each
> program it exec()s it builds an environment to pass to that program - that is
> distinct from its own environment that it got from its parent.

Again, from the bash man page:
        export [-fn] [name[=word]] ...
        export -p
               The  supplied names are marked for automatic export to
the environment of subsequently
               executed commands.

I think that we are talking about the same thing but somehow not
communicating clearly. I shall review this thread tomorrow and see what
I could have said better

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk