[Gllug] Finding the best options in Debian

'lesleyb' lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Fri Jul 1 12:14:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 11:30:28AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 01 Jul, 'lesleyb' wrote:
> >

> > I don't know quite how you plan to install Debian, but I believe there
> > is a point in the graphical install process where you can select different
> > machine functionality, e.g web-server, desktop.  You might want to at least
> > select X11 and a window manager and then install zoneminder.
> >
>    Thanks for the reply.
>    I tried a new Debian installation in expert mode on Wednesday using the
> latest 6.0.2.1 businesscard installer with KDE desktop but aptitude would
> not install zoneminder because of dependency errors. I ran out of time then
> but can retry the complete installation using any desktop, and would be
> pleased if it is happy with a lightweight desktop. It would save time if I
> could easily compare the list of dependencies with what is already provided
> by each of the four standard desktop options without doing a complete
> re-installation each time. The desktop may only be used initially, with
> normal access via a network, as I am trying to build a dedicated system to
> just run zoneminder that can be hidden away out of sight.

I think there just isn't a way to easily extract all dependencies from
meta-packages like kde and gnome.

Another poster has said the operation is exponential.  I don't have the
skill to confirm that so I'll take his word on it.

It would have been useful to see the dependency errors generated.
Did you keep a log?

Here's an arbitrary bug report for zoneminder
and the list of dependencies doesn't show the libdirac-encoding0 dependency
on a higher version of libstdc++6

I suspect that zoneminder doesn't need a windowing/desktop system to
actually work. Could you not start as you intend to go on and simply
ssh into the machine you're installing on once you have the install?
You'll be able to read man pages, edit any config files over ssh and take
config backups or run an internal CVS/svn/git repository to track config
changes.

You can then view results on a machine with your favourite desktop/window
manager system browser combo.

Regards

Lesley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk