[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 22:16:33 UTC 2011

> My time is charged at £8400 per day (and I'm worth it!).  This is proof
> of the two obvious principles -
>
> Always charge "what the market will stand"
>
> and
>
> "A fool and his money are soon parted"!

Have you missed a major opportunity?

Many in our business, opposed to the use of FLOSS, quote the aphorism:
"you only ever get what you pay for".

Surely then, to assure success, all one needs to do is charge
outrageously high prices? Why wasn't this covered at my uni???

After someone (whose self-interest v.much exceeded his business
awareness) quoted this at me, with tongue v.much in cheek, I quoted a
"special offer" of thousands for Apache installation and support (plus
the dev.project components priced separately).
[before anyone gets (rightfully) up-in-arms about 'licensing', the fine
print listed the terms as my (then) rate multiplied by the number of
contracted support-hours PLUS a donation to the project, AND copied the
licensing terms in an addendum]

It was entirely 'competitive' - slightly exceeding the MSFT package in
up-front cost; and significantly exceeding the IIS alternative in
practical factors (that did not involve the architectural choice
featuring heavy leverage of MS-only technologies).

Glass half-empty folk know what happened eventually...

Last laugh dept: they later complained about "MS-lock-in"...

History repeats dept: later they jumped from the MSFT frying-pan into
the fire of a proprietary CMS...

--
Regards,
=dn