[Gllug] ADVERT Meego gathering in London July 5th

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 21:59:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, - Tethys wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > After a bit of investigation, I found that there is also a Nokia
> > 950, with slide out keyboard, which very much looks like the
> > intended successor to the N900.
>
> Yep. The N950 looks like the perfect successor to the N900 for me, but
> Nokia won't sell me one :-( I looking into joining their developer
> programme, but it's fairly clear I wouldn't qualify.

I'd been following the forums and getting quite excited.  Sadly the
suggestions that the keyboarded version would never be available to the
general public turned out to be true.

The n9 is **cking useless to me as I use a keyboard all the time with an
80x24 terminal that I can actually SEE, open all the time.

> They're looking for people to write apps that others might want to
> use. Most of what I use my N900 for is stuff I've written that
> wouldn't appeal to others, and certainly isn't something that could be
> stuck up on an app store.

Ditto.

On the day of the n9 announcement I asked a colleague who sits a few
desks away on the mobile team, whether they were likely to be sent an n9
for evaluation/dev work and they only went and pulled out an unused n950
from a desk draw... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU it's probably been there weeks.

Anyway, I've had a play and the h/ware was sexy, the UI swishy, but
functionally pretty sub-par.  I've been unable to find any way to get a
terminal so far.  Until I can see how comfortable it is with an
ssh+screen session I can't really judge how it.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk