[Gllug] Does the YubiKey USB security token actually work in Linux?

Progga proggaprogga at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:54:42 UTC 2011

A few days ago, someone in the London Drupal gathering mentioned that
it is now possible to login to Drupal using a USB security token [0]
called Swekey [1].  I keep forgetting my passwords, so this sounded
good and I googled around a bit and found that [2, 5] Swekey has a
competitor called YubiKey [3] whose authentication server is Open Source.
Things are looking good for YubiKey (apart from the price of 36 GBP) and
the manufacturer Yubico is claiming [4] that "The YubiKeys are also used
by Fedora’s core team members for securing access to high security
hosts.".  Now my question is, does any one have any experience with
these on a Linux machine?  According to Yubico's website, YubiKey is OS
independent as it acts like a USB keyboard when sending the
one-time-use password to the machine.  But then I also have a KVM switch
at work which is supposed to work with Linux but doesn't.  So I am
wondering whether to get one or not.  If you have any other experience
with these USB security keys then please share.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_token
[1] https://www.swekey.com/
[2] http://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/f3v0k/has_anyone_used_swekey_it_seems_great_but_i_can/
[3] http://www.yubico.com/yubikey