[Gllug] Bring Your Own Server

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Jun 12 15:40:28 UTC 2011

On 12 Jun 2011, Bernard Peek spake thusly:
> There is an interesting possibility though. Would it be possible to
> build a colo centre on the banks of the holy river and to cool all of
> its servers with river water. Others who share your philosophy may be
> willing to pay a little extra to get their web sites hosted in such a
> centre.
>
> So the answer to your question is that yes what you ask for is
> technically possible but the problems with getting the idea implemented
> are not technical in nature.

There may be technical problems too. The water of the Ganges may be holy
but I've been there and it is not notably pure in a scientific sense.
There would be *major* problems with silt deposition. (I suppose you
could filter it first, and add stuff to prevent fungal growth and so on,
but if you dump antifungals into it I'm not sure it really counts as
Ganges water anymore.)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk