[Gllug] Fastest computer in the world - runs Linux

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:07:31 UTC 2011

On 20 June 2011 12:27, Robert McKay <robert at mckay.com> wrote:
> I don't think it would be inaccurate to describe the Top500 as "niche" ;)

I respectfully disagree.
A couple of years ago there were several Top500 entries with 'UK
finance institution' -
if I'm not wrong these were HP Superdome systems.
The Top 500 itself has moved into the petaflop era - and to get an
entry even in the 400's requires
a pretty special system these days. However, there are whole heap of
companies using high performance
Linux systems which are below Top500 class. I'm not expressing myself
well here - what I'm saying is
that lots of places are using lots of Linux systems its just not publicised.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk