[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Mon Jun 6 16:39:06 UTC 2011

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 16:00 +0100, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
>

>> beats minimum wage, but I like the problem solving.
>>

> But producing a distro isn't problem solving. Once you pick up the tools
> for it the process is very simple and very boring.

I used to roll my own distro, when i looked at Redhat 5.2 (not to be
mistaken for a neerw OS version), I decided compared to my Solaris it
didn't feel as finished, I could do a better job myself and that would
teach me how things worked (for the move from Solaris->Linux (driver
support being the problem with solaris), and I kept using it for 10+
years replicating it via tar, having transitioned form a 2.2 to a 2.4
kernel (Never did a 2.6 move). The real killer was all the libraries
used in systems like Gnome, I evenually switched to CentOS 4 (having
briefly deciding Fedora changed to fast as was not for me), my final
compute running my own distro was on my firewall, which I switched to
OpenBSD.

I can say... finding compatible libraries is a pain in the ***.
Sometimes I miss the flexibility of having what I want, however getting
someone else to worry about libraries and security of the binaries is
well worth it. If I need something special I can always install a second
copy of something.

James

PS I am not looking for a job, just recounting a story.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk