[Gllug] intellinuxwireless

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed Jun 8 18:47:00 UTC 2011

Patrick Moody wrote:
> Hi Gllugers,
>
> I'm trying to get the wireless adapter working on my laptop (a HP
> ProBook 4510s) running Debian 6.  It previously worked flawlessly and
> without any setup required from me when using Ubuntu10.04, 10.10 and
> 11.04.
>
> I wanted to give Debian a go so I could learn a bit more, so obviously
> the first thing I'm going to have to learn is how to get wireless
> networking working.
>
> I had a look at the HP support page for my model of laptop. It provides
> some .rpm packages for SuSE but nothing for Debian and the like.
> I googled the adapter model "Intel Wireless WiFi 5100AGN" had a look at
> Intel's site and found the link to http://intellinuxwireless.org/ which
> says the drivers should already be included in all recent Linux kernels
> since 2.6.24.  I think I'm currently on 2.6.32 so the driver's
> definitely supposed to be there.
>
> Anyone got any clues where should look next?
> What's different about the way wireless networking gets set up by
> default in Ubuntu and Debian?
>
> Thanks for any help/suggestions you may offer,
>
> Patrick.

Hello Patrick,

Surely when you had Ubuntu running you had either Gnome or KDE as your GUI and each of those
enabled you to store your wireless settings. So maybe Debian has a GUI? In which case it's
in Preferences or Administration settings. There is no default wireless settings - you have
to decide on the wireless network you want to connect to and the user password (which you
set up in your wireless router).

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk