[Gllug] Does the YubiKey USB security token actually work in Linux?

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Sat Jun 25 14:58:26 UTC 2011

Progga wrote:
>  On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:25:29AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:54:42PM +0100, Progga wrote:
> >> the manufacturer Yubico is claiming [4] that "The YubiKeys are
> >> also used by Fedora’s core team members for securing access to
> >> high security hosts.".  Now my question is, does any one have any
> >> experience with these on a Linux machine?
 >>
> > Yes.  I can access my Fedora account using a Yubikey, from any
> > machine (Linux or otherwise) that has a USB port.
>
>  Thanks a lot for the confirmation.  I will now order one.  The price
>  (including shipping and VAT) is actually 36 USD and NOT 36 GBP.

I've just ordered one too. I run bespoke invoicing and so forth on Linux
machines, and providing inbound internet access relying on just
username/passwords has always made me a touch nervous given replay attacks.

It'll be interesting to discover what it takes to implement this, given
the low price per user now makes it viableand OTP is a better
alternative to KittenAuth!

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann