[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 16 23:44:08 UTC 2011

On 16 Jun 2011, damion yates spake thusly:

> Just to be clear, you have an existing spare machine and want to play
> with linux bridging?
>
> This is bad for the environment IMO.  Just plug a cheap/free (people

That entirely depends on which spare machine you plug in :) you *can*
do stuff with bridging you can't do in any other way, and it does
give unrivalled power, if you can get the bloody thing working.

I do not feel guilty over the 3-5W my Soekris draws. I felt guilty over
the power my old machines drew after I junked the always-on server in
favour of one bought with power consumption in mind and watched my
electricity bills drop by 2/3rds...

Doing testing and early production bridging stuff on a conventional PC
is probably quite a good idea because they're so easy to get at if
things go really wrong: you can just sling a CD in, while if my Soekris
goes really wrong I need to netboot it or pull the CF card, both of
which are much more annoying. But, especially with today's price drop of
the net5501, for a constantly-running bridging box I'd just recommend
getting a Soekris -- or some low-power ARM thing I suppose, but that's
probably more unfamiliar terrain for most of us than the roughly-PC-
shaped boot process of the Soekris. Never regretted getting mine for a
moment. Lovely hardware. Even has a hardware watchdog. :)

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk