[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 20:54:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 09:36:41PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, June 6, 2011 21:24, Krishna Birth wrote:
<snip>
>> Sorry.  You get me wrong.  I am a newbie and a non-techie.  I want a
>> tweek to a big popular distro, they have the coding resources.  When
>> they improve their coding, then the new distro is also improved.  To
>> keep it simple and practical for you to start with, I wish to have
>> only certain fonts.
>
> So..... uninstall the fonts you don't want. Simples.

In Debian you could create an empty "philosophical-fonts" package that
conflicts with the fonts you don't want. Create packages for the new
fonts and make sure that they can satisify all the requirements of the
other packages (such as your X server). Then when you install them,
the other fonts will be uninstalled.

The logos in the various packages will be much more difficult and
will need a graphical artist to redraw them. That is likely to be
more expensive than getting someone to rebuild a few packages.