[Gllug] Bring Your Own Server

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:06:11 UTC 2011

Regarding water cooling,
for hight density blade servers - ie high performance clusters etc. it
is also feasible to use water-cooled rack doors. Instead of using a
chilled water supply to cool air conditioning units, what you do is
have racks which have high-airflor fans which blow to the rear of the
rack. the rear rack doors have cooling units which are fed by the
cooled water. Think reverse radiators - each unit has a cool water
inlet and a hot water outlet. Units like this can in fact result in a
net cooling of a computer room.

Cooling via river water might not be such a bad idea - you would not
use the river water iteself directly - what you do is circulate the
water via a heat exchanger and use the cooled water for your servers,
and reject the heat into the river.

I happen to run some systems which use water cooled racks like this -
thought not rejecting the heat to a local river I hasten to add.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk