[Gllug] Not installing stuff.

Paul Cupis paul at cupis.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 19:17:45 UTC 2011

On 01/06/11 20:05, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> I can't see why apticron has to have the above packages if there is
> already a perfectly serviceable mail server running on the system
> already. Am I being naive or ignorant of how scripts like to send mail
> here or is there a way to get apticron to install without the extra bumph?

apt doesn't know that you have a working mta on your system, but thinks
it needs one for apticron (or a dependancy) to work, so wants to install
one.

If you can work out the specific reason it wants the mta (package
dependancy-wise), you can use the "equivs" package to tell apt that you
have a working mta and it will not try to install one from packages.

What is the exact output of something like:

  apt-get --no-install-recommends -s install apticron postfix-

Regards,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk