[Gllug] Oldest Linux user in Britain

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Jun 29 02:07:43 UTC 2011

On 27/06/11 16:38, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 11:10:07AM +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>>    The government backed RaceOnline2012.org is preparing to supply cheap
>> secondhand computers running ubuntu to any people who have no current
>> internet access, including all ages.
> Where do you get the idea they'll be running Ubuntu?  Some sort of
> Ubuntu UK user group are a partner, but so are Microsoft, and I guess
> we all know which one will be "donating" "millions of pounds worth of
> software".
>
> http://raceonline2012.org/partner/microsoft
>
> This page [PDF, sorry] says both packages will come with Windows 7:
>
> http://raceonline2012.org/sites/default/files/resources/get_online__home_fact_sheet_nd11_may_2011.pdf
>
> Rich.

That's going to be fun! Quite often at least one bit of hardware in a P4
vintage machine simply won't have a Win7 driver, and I think everyone
can guess how well Win7 performs on 1GB or RAM! Also, Windoze
enthusiasts tend to reckon 60GB is the minimum tenable system partition
size for Win7 so that 40GB disk won't stretch very far and I'm not sure
they're going to get to warrant 6 or 7 year old hard drives either.

I'm not complaining though, I'm sure I'll pick up plenty of work fixing
these things and selling ppl HD and memory upgrades if it takes off. Not
sure why it would take off though when most computer shops will sell you
a SH machine for under £150 anyway. Hell you can get P4 boxes with XP on
for under £40 on ebay most any day of the week and TFT monitors for
under £40 too, I suppose if you haven't got a computer at all you're
probably not shopping on ebay though!

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk