[Gllug] Writing my own system call

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 16:22:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, June 17, 2011 2:26 pm, John Hearns wrote:
> On 17 June 2011 13:18, Alistair Mann <gllug at lgeezer.net> wrote:
>> John Hearns wrote:
>>>

>>>  Could you amplify a bit on that please?
>>
>> HE SAID HE WANTS TO KNOW THE PHYSICAL ADDRESS OF MEMORY ALLOCATED FROM
>> THE
>> HEAP IN USERSPACE.
>>

> He also said "I am researching/confirming phases of memory locality in
> the kernel."

It is an MSc project.

By hacking stuff in user space I can see where the virtual (user space)
memory is coming from, but I want to examine what is going on with
physical addresses too.

Essentially operating system/VMM theory is based on the idea that in a
given (short) time delta allocations will show locality. But at a bigger
range of time that locality may move - perhaps gradually, though more
likely (at least this is the theory/past experimental conclusion) in
rather clearer phases.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk