[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 16:27:56 UTC 2011

On Thu, June 16, 2011 10:30 pm, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
>
>> This drove me mad all weekend and the time has come to admit that I
>> and Google cannot solve it alone...
>>
>> I want to extend the range of my domestic wireless network by bridging
>> between a wireless card and a wired card on a machine at one extremity
>> of the ethernet.
>
> Just to be clear, you have an existing spare machine and want to play
> with linux bridging?

No. I want to (and have) extended the range of the wireless coverage of my
existing wireless/wired network by bridging the ethernet connection of a
machine in a corner of the house with poor wireless reception with a
wireless card/AP I have inserted in a space PCI slot.

It works.

> This is bad for the environment IMO.  Just plug a cheap/free (people
> always have spare) wifi AP in.  I use an old adsl router with my lan
> plugged in to one of its 4-ports on the "internal" switch and it bridges
> perfectly as an open LAN.  By using the same ESSID and WPA passed all
> (only my Sony PSP doesn't) devices can auto switch, keeping the same IP
> and sessions continue as I wonder round the house.

"bad for the environment"? As in the natural environment? Why is your
solution better?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk