[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Jun 6 20:36:41 UTC 2011

On Mon, June 6, 2011 21:24, Krishna Birth wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org>
>> Show us the code.  So far you have a website and a tshirt. Nothing
>> downloadable, no git repo, no project plan, no mailing list.  In short,
>> nothing that looks even close to a viable open source project.
>
> I am not a software coder qualified.  Thus I am requesting for help on
> this list.

Actually writing code is not the hardest thing in a software project.  The
hard bit is working out what code needs to be written and then making it
happen in a way that doesn't make future maintainers burst into tears and
anger.

> Let me keep it simple and practical for you to start with.  Could you
> tweek Ubuntu or Fedora by removing all their fonts from everywhere and
> putting BBT and Rail Model font?

Uhh probably.  But I'd be unlikely to want to.  Crackpot notions about the
purity, or lack thereof, of the letter K are entirely irrelavent to any
systems I care about.

> Sorry.  You get me wrong.  I am a newbie and a non-techie.  I want a
> tweek to a big popular distro, they have the coding resources.  When
> they improve their coding, then the new distro is also improved.  To
> keep it simple and practical for you to start with, I wish to have
> only certain fonts.

So..... uninstall the fonts you don't want. Simples.

> Once you do this we then move to the next stage.

Ahh, this'll be the big evolutionary step that eveything you're planning
leads up to, then.  Go on, tell me what it is.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk