[Gllug] Realtek 8168B

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jun 24 20:18:00 UTC 2011

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:59:59PM +0100, Ken Smith wrote:
>
>> {snip}
>>
>> So what's the deal, are 8168's a pile of trash? Or is there something
>> about a P7P55D Asus motherboard that's weird.
>>
> Just a few comments really ...  I have not used this card.
>
> F13 is out of support, today I believe.  F14 is probably the
> way to go now unless you want to suffer GNOME 3.
>
> Also 2.6.34 is pretty old -- about a year old.  With F14 you'll get a
> newer driver that you won't have to compile yourself, and also newer
> card firmware (make sure you have linux-firmware package installed).
>
> Rich.

Thanks Rich, I've made some progress. As well as FC13 (My laptop is FC14
and will get 16 when it arrives, I've yet to decide whether to take this
machine to FC15) this machine also dual boots Server2003. I have read
this -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=538448 that describes
how that other OS can leave the nic in a mess on shutdown. With the
re-arranging of hardware today I guess that the nic had got set disabled
during that other OS's shut down process. I have 'adjusted' the setting
in the 'other' OS and all seems well. My 2nd PCI nic is still in there!

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk