[Gllug] Government IT projects and wasted money

Alistair Mann al at lgeezer.net
Fri Jun 17 18:00:08 UTC 2011

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

>  Ah! but Project A and Project B might be using the same one, they
>  just don't know! ;-)

Doesn't matter -- the dealbreaker is not differences or similarities
between the two projects, but in the differing environments,
circumstances surrounding the two. Not the content, but the /context/.

A joke good to us ("Never trust a program if you don't know its source")
will get you marked down for spouting truisms among the noncognoscenti.
The context kills it -- not the content.

A & B may be ostensibly identical, but the training regime may be
different, so might issue-tracking in the live system. And after those
have been 'fixed' we've lost what little internal insight we had intp
whether training was best done one way, or another. We might also drive
issue-tracking vendor B to the wall and discover that vendor A, now a
monopoly provider, has us over a barrel.

>  Me thinks I will sound like I am quoting "Yes
>  Minister" soon. Quote "Apparently the fact that you needed to know
>  was not known at the time that the now known need to know was known,
>  and therefore those that needed to advise and inform the Home
>  Secretary perhaps felt that the information that he needed as to
>  whether to inform the highest authority of the known information was
>  not yet known and therefore there was no authority for the authority
>  to be informed because the need to know was not at that time known or
>  needed."

I couldn't ... *possibly* ... comment!

Cheers,
--