[Gllug] My Internet experience in the West at times is comparable to female foeticide

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jun 22 12:13:47 UTC 2011

On 22 Jun 2011, James Hawtin outgrape:

> Nix wrote:
>> I dunno, you never know when something might go wrong. Me, I had a hot
>> spare. It turned out to be very useful. I learned the value of failover
>> early!
>>
> I can see the value in that, however think you are still running a risk there.

Well, yeah, I don't have a hot spare anymore :(

>> (US Christian 'ensoulment at conception' people tend to go away when I
>> ask them if this means I only have half a soul. The answer is obviously
>> yes, as anyone who knew me would attest!)
>
> I am concerned about this "hot spare" idea, either it is fully up to
> date in which means you are running, raid 1 mirrored souls (so have 2
> but they are the same)

Mine were slowly diverging: there was no mirroring. However one failed
shortly after it arrived from the factory, so the other one could take
over with no loss of uptime.

>                        or you will need to detect the impending
> failure of your primary soul and will need time to down load it to
> your spare otherwise you will risk oblivion.

Yeah, but soul downloading is... hard.

>                                              However this risk could
> be minimized by proactive early soul replacement, swapping out as the
> risk of failure rises.

"Proactive early soul replacement" sounds *really* disturbing :) but of
course nature has always practiced just that.

>                        If you don't mind having a "gappy" soul, you
> could update it periodically, however if you are overwriting your
> backup soul, and get a failure at that point you could end up with a
> corrupted soul with all that entails.

Oh, I suspect I got one of those many years ago (I just don't get the
opportunity to exploit it much).

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk