[Gllug] stat'ing a file shows it was changed today and yet it has the date of a few days ago

Avi lists at avi.co
Mon Jun 20 21:35:32 UTC 2011

Oliver Howe wrote:
> so, does "Change" above mean the last time the file mode was changed?

Yep. This is that time I agree with Windows rather than Unix - Windows
stores the file creation time instead, which I think is rather more
useful.

> If so, is there a way to see who or what process changed the file
> permissions?

Not retrospectively, no. There are daemons you can run which will log
things like that when they happen, but there's nothing stored in the
file itself.

--
Avi
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk