[Gllug] Bridging/routing

Adrian McMenamin adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info
Wed Jun 15 17:32:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, June 15, 2011 4:39 pm, john walker wrote:
> --- On Tue, 14/6/11, Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info>
> wrote:
>
>> From: Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info>
>> Subject: [Gllug] Bridging/routing
>> To: gllug at gllug.org.uk
>> Date: Tuesday, 14 June, 2011, 9:38
>> I finally, after many more hours of
>> trying, have my wired <--> wireless
>> bridge up and running well - though it is all head together
>> by the
>> equivalent of string and brown paper.
>>
>> Actually the most difficult issue was addressing and
>> routing.
>>
>> Right now the bridge and the ethernet port have the same IP
>> address -
>> which seems less than satisfactory, but is this something I
>> should worry
>> about?
>>

> Hi Adrian
> I'd be interested to know how you got on. Sorry about earlier when I mixed
> up routing with bridging. Is there a kind of picture you could draw of the
> network ( ascii art maybe ). It might help me understand.
> John
> --

No problem. I have got it working:  network is like this

ADSL ------- Router (commodity) ------ Wireless AP
               | (Ethernet)
            --------
            |   |   |
     PC-----|   |   |
                |   |
     PC---------|   |--------PC (bridged) ----- Wireless AP

I need to tidy up the admin on it so the bridge comes back automatically
on reboot.

The key thing is that the Wireless AP on the remote machine is on the same
subnet as the other interfaces on the network - eg if a wireless machine
sends out a DHCP discovery packet it goes straight back to the router
(which is running a DHCP daemon) - I don't need to have a second DHCP
daemon running or worry about routing packets across the bridge (in the
sense that the softwar bridge does all that for me). Hope this is clear.

I did have to use an old 802.11b card for the second AP though - aiui more
modern ones need firmware changes to properly handle the layer 2 routing.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk