[Gllug] Fastest computer in the world - runs Linux

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Mon Jun 20 21:42:33 UTC 2011

On 20/06/11 21:19, Alistair Mann wrote:
> Steve Parker wrote:
>>  I'm not sure of the attachment rules, so I've put the screenshot of
>>  the top500 site's death at http://steve-parker.org/top500.png
>>  (full-sized version at http://steve-parker.org/top500-full.jpg) --
>
> When "the username is root" appears, you can be pretty sure the death
> will be not be pretty.
>
> Cheers,
To be fair, that refers to the admin account on MySQL, not on the server
itself. I'm no MySQL expert, but it seems to be common practice. I
create user accounts for each application that uses a database, but I've
seen lots of LAMP docs that suggest root for the application login, and
I'm prepared to wager that the majority of such installations use the
same root password for MySQL as for the root account on the OS itself...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk