[Gllug] BE Broadband (was Off Topic: Backup ISP)

Damion Yates damion at trap.me.uk
Sun Mar 27 22:01:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011, John Edwards wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 08:01:11PM +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> > One thing puzzles me though.  Our current ISP, Plusnet, say that 6
> > MBps is the best our line will support.  BE say that we should
> > expect 11 MBps.
>
> I would guess that Plus is using ADSL Max ("up to 8 Mbit/s") and the
> Be is using ADSL 2+ ("up to 20 Mbit/s").
>
> ADSL 2+ can get a bit more speed on the same bit of copper, but I
> would be surprised at 11Mbit/s as that is almost double.

My ISP (Bogons) used something like Entanet?  Which I think is what all
BT reseller providers went over.  However they were soon glad to have
the chance to resell Be's offering when Be started to permit that a year
or two ago.

I had 7Mb/s (900 or so kb/s up) on ADSL Max, but ADSL2+ got that up to
14Mb/s (2.2 up!).  Your figures line up with my experience.  I was
really skeptical that I'd see a difference but sure enough I had a more
than double speed increase.

 - Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk