[Gllug] Off Topic: Backup ISP

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Mon Mar 28 22:01:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 10:58:38AM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 26 Mar 2011, Christopher Hunter said:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-03-26 at 21:00 +0000, Mick Farmer wrote:
> >
> >> What do you think of Virgin's service?
> >
> > Please don't that crowd of criminals a penny of your money - it only
> > encourages them!  Their "service" is utterly inept, untruthfully
> > advertised
>
> Are they the bunch that advertises a 'fibre-optic' service which when
> investigated means that they use fibre-optics in their exchanges, and
> everything else is made out of that well-known optic fibre, fifty-
> year-old copper coax?

And the problem being? I've no idea what runs to the house, but if the
bandwidth is adequate, they could use string and tin cans for all I care.

FWIW, I have virgin broadband via cable modem, and find it very reliable
and more often than not get the 10Mb/s I pay for. I notice the contention
in the early evening peak time, but that's to be expected.

I'd expect the cable service to be more available than an ADSL service,
as if cable goes down, cable TV goes down generally. I've no experience
with VM ADSL.

Regards,
Happy Virgin Media Customer

PS. I have had to deal with their customer service once, to report a
    fault that ended being a local infrastructure fault. They answered
    quickly, were transparent in acknowledging the fault, and service
    was restored within the hour.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk