[Gllug] PCI problems with P67 board

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 10:11:34 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 09:32:52AM +0000, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded my Pentium II system with an Asus P67D board and a Sandy Bridge i5-2400. Slightly surprised that my new system is slower than my Pentium II was...?
>
> I think I've come to the conclusion that there's a PCI problem or conflict somewhere, just wondering if it's a BIOS or Linux thing.
>
> I noticed these messages when booting:
>
> [    0.592766] pci 0000:07:00.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device [0xfe460000-0xfe47ffff]
> [    0.592817] pci 0000:07:01.0: BAR 6: address space collision on of device [0xfe400000-0xfe41ffff]
>
> There are loads more PCI messages, full dmesg can be seen here: http://www.morsing.cc/PCI_errors.txt
>
> Anyone aware of PCI problems with the new P67 chipsets and Linux? What does it look like the problem is from the above?

From the dmesg those errors are on PCI address 0000:07:00.0, which
looks like an Adaptec SCSI card which has all your disks. If that is
having problems then there will be slow or intermittent access to your
filesystems.

A Google search for 'P67 PCI problems':
	http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=P67+PcI+problems&btnG=Google+Search
brings up pages which say the P67 does not support PCI itself,
but has to use an external chip to handle this:
	http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Board=PCMus&Number=885996
	http://semiaccurate.com/2010/08/19/intels-p67-h67-and-h61-chipsets-will-lack-native-pci-support/

Searching for parts of the error message brings up this Ubuntu bug:
which suggests that the 2.6.33 kernel contains a patch.

So at a guess, it might be that a cheap PCI bus chip is causing
problems which newer kernels can work around. If possible try a
newer kernel and so if that helps.

Also, are you aware of the product recall on P67 motherboards because
of the faulty SATA controllers?
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_bridge#Cougar_Point_chipset_issue