[Gllug] Pentium D frequency scaling

adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 17:29:14 UTC 2011

I simply cannot get this to work properly (at all) on Ubuntu 10.10. Any clues?

My main, everyday, desktop is a bit old, but it works well now I have replaced the heatsink: it’s using a dual core Pentium D processor, with each core running at 2.67 GHz. This box runs hot - I know that's a feature of the processor - but it doesn't have to be on at full tilt all the time, does it?

cat /proc/cpuinfo tells me this should support 7 levels of frequency scaling, but I cannot seem to get it to run at anything other than full tilt all the time. I am running Ubuntu 10.10:

adrian at bossclass:~$ uname -a
Linux bossclass 2.6.35-27-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 22 20:25:29 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

And I have the p4_clockmod module loaded. So how I fix this and does the Pentium D even truly support frequency scaling?

Do Pentium Ds really support frequency scaling? I think I read something that said they just simulate it to no real effect, but then you can read anything you like on the internet...