[Gllug] BE Broadband (was Off Topic: Backup ISP)

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Mon Mar 28 22:16:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 21:50 +0100, Martyn Drake wrote:
> I thought BT dropped Phorm back in 2009.. I would never have gone with
> BT if they hadn't.

BT stated that they would be pursuing other partnerships to accomplish
the same ends.

>   They've also just changed (or at least are
> changing) their fair usage policies and removing the 320Gb cap for
> Infinity.

That doesn't mean they wont be applying "Fair Use Policies" to restrict
usage once you pass some usage level - only that they wont now tell you
what that usage level is.

>   They reserve the right to traffic shape if necessary for
> very heavy users, but pretty much free for all at this time is what I
> gather from various sources.

What is a very heavy user?

> Yes, indeed - although I am also very fond of Andrews & Arnold.
> Wasn't too impressed with the Zyxel router they supplied though :(

There is no such thing as a good router. Every single one has it's
issues and these will often vary depending upon which exchange you are
connected through as the kit in exchanges is by no means uniform.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk