[Gllug] VPS, MX records and Virtualmin

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sat Mar 19 17:06:49 UTC 2011

On Saturday, 19 Mar 2011, Nix wrote:
>On 18 Mar 2011, Neil Macvicar stated:
>>On your point of problematic MX records, if you were serious about
>>having deliverability, you would have had at least two MX records,
>>each record resolving to a machine distinctly separate network wise
>>and company wise. This would have mitigated the problem you outlined.
>Yeah,

... yeah?

These days sending sites will hang onto mail for a long time if they
can't reach your MXes; it's pretty hard to lose any. "Only spammers
use secondary MX"; I can't see much benefit to a secondary MX for
individuals or small organisations provided you a) will notice when
your primary MX goes down and b) have a good procedure to deal with
that situation quickly.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Stilday, March - a weekend.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk