[Gllug] Off Topic: Backup ISP

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 21:38:03 UTC 2011

On 29 Mar 2011, Christopher Hunter told this:

> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 23:01 +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
>
>> And the problem being? I've no idea what runs to the house, but if the
>> bandwidth is adequate, they could use string and tin cans for all I care.
>
> The bandwidth to your home is severely limited - they use the cheapest,
> nastiest coax they can find, which deteriorates rapidly when put in the
> ground (it's not the right type, and isn't specified for underground
> use).

It's also not what they advertised. (I'm surprised by that, though:
I thought they were using ordinary phone coax. Going for something
cheaper is surprising, given how cheap good phone coax is: it's the
very definition of a high-volume product.)
--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk