[Gllug] VPS, MX records and Virtualmin

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Mar 17 08:49:34 UTC 2011

On 17/03/2011 07:26, Nix wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2011, general told this:
>> >  With a VPS setup such as hetzner provide how would I go about setting up
>> >  an MX record? Do they provide a nameserver that I can add to/edit via
>> >  their website? Do they pickup DNS entries/zones from a file somewhere
>> >  within my VPS? Do I have to install and configure bind and run my own
>> >  DNS server!?
> This is really not hard at all:)  all my zonefiles added together are,
> what, thirty lines? The named.conf that points at it is longer because
> of all the boilerplate to point at the zonefiles...

If you don't fancy doing that, you could use a hosted DNS service like
DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/custom/) which is relatively
cheap and rock solid in my experience.

Or you could move the domain to a registrar that has an easy to use DNS
manager. Most of them do, I use Daily.co.uk and theirs is perfectly usable.

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk