[Gllug] Open University Linux Introduction course T155

Patrick Moody patrickmoody84 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:57:55 UTC 2011

> On Tue 29 Mar, Steve Parker wrote:
>
> > "The course is designed to be studied over a ten-week period, with
> > approximately ten hours of study a week."
> >
> > I'm not too familiar with the certification, but 100 hours from zero to
> > CompTIA+ certified seems a bit of a challenge. If it is possible for a
> > significant percentage of candidates, then it suggests that the cert is
> > not worth much. Also, do beginners need certification?
> >
>    I have complained long and loud about the lack of help for new users. I
> am delighted to see any official help for new users that could prompt a
> second look from anyone who is unsure about going outside their usual
> system, and it can even count towards a full degree. I am not qualified to
> examine the course in detail, but it is at least a very welcome first step.
>
> --
> Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)
> Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives you the whole house.

I did the course last year and would strongly recommend it to anyone with little to no knowledge of Linux who wanted to get to grips with the basics.  There's a discount offered for the certification book which I used following the course before using the other discount on the exam fee itself and passing the CompTIA exam last August.  You definitely have to do some extra studying following the course to get up to exam standard but it's a really good introduction.