[Gllug] Off Topic: Backup ISP

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Mar 27 13:23:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 10:28 +0100, Jacob Mansfield wrote:

>  DO NOT GET "ORANGE HOME BROADBAND" I am, rather unfortunately, locked
> into a 2 year contract, and get around 0.1 Mbps on their 8Mbps thing

This is obviously unacceptable.  Have you done all the obvious tests,
like unplugging all other phoneline-connected gear, and trying the
connection?  Even on the poorest lines you should be able to achieve 2 -
3 Mbps.

If their service actually is at fault, then you just need to use the
magic "Small Claims Court" threat to both get out of your contract and
recover all the money you've paid to them for their inept service.  I
was highly successful in taking on the clueless, hopeless Virgin Media.

As an aside - when this area was served by Cable Camden, they had 98% of
households signed up, because we can't receive good quality off-air TV
due to the local topography.  Over the several changes of ownership,
this percentage has steadily declined until they have slightly less than
10% of the households today.  Most homes now have Sky TV and ADSL 'net,
and BT for their phone service.

www.Bethere.co.uk have made great inroads locally, and BT are in the
process of upgrading the area with FTTH (Fibre to the Home) which BE are
making full use of for their 50 Mbps service (which REALLY is!).  BE is
uncapped, unrestricted, fixed IP if you want, and has truly excellent
and helpful customer service.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk