[Gllug] [GLLUG] BBC Website

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:29:06 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, John Hearns wrote:

> On 29 March 2011 23:04, Sunny Aujla <sunnyfedora99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Who's kicked the plug out to BBC's web servers? :)
>
> Spending cuts.
> They can't afford to renew the domain name.

They had bbc.co.uk from before you had to pay for domains.

They continued to ignore requests for money once that annoying idea was
established, and I suspect the registrars were rather too nervous to turn
it off.  Sadly some new management caught wind of this childish stunt
and insisted it join the list of paid domains in constant risk of
getting forgotten at renewal!

Incidently, although I ceased being root at bbc.co.uk about 5 years ago, my
wife still runs the webmaster team (and was escalated to, regarding this
at roughly the start of the outage) and I still know people there.  It
probably doesn't count for much but I narrowed this down to AS2818
dropping off the map after only a few minutes, I have to wonder how long
it took my replacements ;)

I suspect the mechanism for sending pages requires the network to work,
seeing as when my wife phoned an old colleague of ours (one of the UNIX
geeks who is now a root at bbc.co.uk), he didn't seem to be aware.  On the
plus side it seems to be fixed now.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk