[Gllug] Slightly Off-topic - was Re: PCI problems with P67 board

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Mon Mar 21 11:15:57 UTC 2011

On 21/03/11 01:20, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>> If it was the new (fixed) chipset you should see "New B3 Revision" on
>> the board or on it's packaging.
>>
>> Roger
>
> Oh and the H67 was affected by the bug too.

Indeed - though only the 3Gbps SATA ports are affected, the 6 Gbps ports
are OK, and the fault may never show up on many boards.

Any affected board is covered by the Intel exchange warranty so it's not
a huge concern if you have a pre-B3 stepping (though it's a pain).

Personally, I'm waiting for both the Intel Z68 Express and the new AMD
Bulldozer silicon to get tested before I spend any money on upgrades for
myself. The Z68 is the only chipset (so far) that supports *all* the
Sandy Bridge features, and leaks on Bulldozer performance are very
promising (I want as many real cores as I can justify in my personal
systems, as I run lots and lots of VMs and software instruments, in
testing and music, respectively).

That means mid-summer, realistically... meanwhile I'll live with my
ancient - but still quite fast - Q6600 and overclocked Xeon 3050!

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane